Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wow How Time Flies!

Well I hope this finds each of you doing great! The McAnnally Clan is doing good. I could hardly believe that September was almost over though! Seems like it was August just yesterday and now we are almost done with September! Did it sneak up on anyone else, or is it just me?



Well I'm sure it comes as no surprise that we have been on the move yet again this week! Piano went well for both kids, they are both having some rhythm issues but all in all they are doing very well! Alex is learning to play Oh When the Saints Go Marching In and Bri is working on Jesus Loves Me.



Tuesday when we finished our school work and after lunch we had a field trip to Adamsville Fire Department where we were certified in CPR and got a tour of the firehouse. I had not planned to become certified, but once I got there a friend of mine wanted me to join her so we two mothers joined about 10 kids and became certified. I think we gave our friendly fireman more trouble than the kids. We just had trouble remembering the steps, but we did it! He actually seemed to get tickled at us from time to time. Anyway, Bri, Alex and myself are now certified, though we all think it would be gross to stick our finger in someones mouth and unless we knew them we are not sure we could do that, unless of course we had a glove on! We got to see where the fireman sleep, saw the fire trucks, and met the firehouse dog. It was a fun afternoon really!



Wednesday found us at Oak Mountain for a picnic. We were celebrating a No School Zone Party. This is a yearly event and was postponed because of one of the hurricanes that dumped a lot of rain on us, but I can't remember the name, I think Flo or something like that. The picture below is of Bri and Dae taking a break from swimming to have an apple. The way they went on about how luscious the apple was you would think they had never had an apple before. I had to snap this picture of them and their apples. They were really huge apples!







Most of our teens decided to play touch football instead of swim, at least in the beginning! The lady in yellow is from the Birmingham News. She wanted to take pictures of our kids playing and hanging out together. She mainly concentrated on the teens. There is a picture of them in the Birmingham News Sunday paper in the local section, 2nd page, if your interested. There is a close up of Jamie, one of our newest friends, but Alex is in there too. It was a really fun day!



The picture below is Alex and Dalton sparring. Alex is progressing so well in karate, granted he is a black belt 1st degree in Tae Kwon Dae, but this is a different form, so he is learning some new steps and techniques. His instructor is so pleased that he told him he was ready to spar, something he has enjoyed very much! Bri wants to know when she can spar, but she has a ways to go in blocking punches better first.






Check out this picture! Bri learned about facial profiles in art Thursday and this is her first try at it. I thought she did a great job! What do you think?






We took out a school membership with the Museum of Art and we can check out up to four cases at a time to explore. I had no idea how much was in a case. They have cases on Japan, China, Egypt, Native Americans, Westward Expansion, etc. We have the Japan case and it has a Kimono, Happi, shoes, tea set, Buddha beads, etc., so much I cannot name it all. It has several books and a video. So all weekend Bri has been playing with all of it. It came with a notebook that explains each thing in the case which she has also been reading. She has thoroughly enjoyed it. In the case were origami cranes, so Saturday we got origami paper and learned how to make cranes. This is not easy and has tried my patience on many occasions! I've managed to make 2 and teach her how to make 1. She is so proud of herself! It looks much easier than it is, but once you get the hang of it, it probably would not be that bad. The one in front of the 3 cranes is my first really bad crane, it hardly sits up, but hey at least it has a head and tail. There are a few earlier tries lying around Bri wants to keep that look much worse!



Alex and Eddie went to Camporee this weekend. Eddie took the camera, but did not take any pictures. The troop won 1st place in Bow Line, 2nd in Knot Tying, and 3rd in boiling water. They had a great time and came home tired. I had to ask 100 questions to get this and they were tired of my questioning so this is all I have. Alex of course was on cloud nine over the Bama win, as are many people!


I hope you all have a great week full of love and learning!








No comments: