The election is past, almost a week now, and in this house things are calming down over it somewhat. Eddie and I definitely had opinions about the election, but not really any candidate stood out as a great one, one that could really take the reins and bring this country around. Alex, who will be voting age in a couple of years, watched EVERYTHING and had some definite opinions. He was very knowledgeable about each and every candidate and like myself he liked the independents better than the bigger party candidates. I'm really proud that he takes an interest in the election process and can really form his own opinion. When I was his age I still looked to dad for an opinion on candidates, never researched them myself. So in the last election Eddie and I did not tell Alex who we favored, we made him research each candidate for himself, beyond the television, and papers, really dig and form his own opinion. He did just that, so it was really no surprise that he would do it during this presidential election too. I'm really proud of him in that regard, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders for the most part. Sometimes though the teen does come out, and when the man he was rooting for to win did not we heard all the negative about Obama you can ever imagine. He has painted some very vivid scenes for all of us on what the next 4 years may hold. It got so bad one afternoon, as in Bri was crying and convinced we would all die as soon as Obama took the oath of office, that we had to put a stop to it. The scene he was painting had to do with a machine guns and doors being kicked in. Maybe he watches too much science fiction with dad. In true teen fashion he blames me for a lot of things, and he blames me for Bri getting upset. How I asked, well you were talking about the election too. Of course Eddie and I both have concerns and we do talk among ourselves, obviously Alex does listen sometimes, huh. Bri on the other hand is only 9 and completely absorbed in her own world, not the state of our country. In the end she was the one most upset by any of the talk, while Eddie and I kept it toned down, not Alex. So I have been praying about how to help Alex accept the fact the Obama will be the next president for better or worse, only time can tell. It has been hard because for me this is the one candidate that ran so counter clockwise to everything that I believe. God told me just to tell him exactly what I have been praying and fasting about. So I sat him down and told him that I prayed God's man would be put in office, and for reasons I don't understand, this is God's man for the hour. Just like he and Bri do not always understand why his dad and I make decisions we make, we don't always understand God's plan, but he sees the big picture and we have to trust him. This is where faith comes in. So in true God fashion he kept giving me scripture on what we should be doing instead of talking down about this man. We should pray for him.
"I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and givings of thanks, be made for all men: for kings and all who are in high places; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:1-4.
So now in our daily devotion we will talk about praying for our next president. Is he a Christian, I truly don't know, but just based on the fruit I see I would say no. Always look at the fruit is what we tell the kids. So if he is not a Christian then pray that he becomes one, pray that he makes the right choices for this country, pray for out country and the people in it. As a whole our country needs a lot of pray. I also pointed out to Alex if your life was put under the scrutiny that our public officials are put under would everyday of your life come out smelling like a rose? So pray my dear son, just pray.
So that is what this household will do, pray for our president. You have to admit he does have a daunting task ahead of him!
2 comments:
This was really good and exactly what we've told our own kids to do. The fact is, Obama IS our president-elect, and as such, we are to pray for our elected officials. Prayer is a powerful tool and I believe we can see miracles happen if we come together in prayer.
Blessings....
Hi Lisa, I have your pictures from Laura. How can we meet up? Email me at tammywollner@yahoo.com
Post a Comment